Who do we fund?
The BaltCF operates in all countries of the Baltic Sea catchment area. We provide financial support to projects from environmental organisations, public bodies and other institutions that promote the conservation of the Baltic Sea and its habitats. We particularly support cooperation between NGOs and authorities and fund international projects in the states bordering the Baltic Sea that go beyond legal obligations of the respective applicant.
We aim at generating measurable results that achieve sustainable and long-term viable outcomes with the allocated funds. We support projects which implement practical conservation actions, clearly contribute towards our priorities (below), and are based on scientific and technical competence. Applications for co-funding of other national or international projects are welcome.
As our main goal is the tangible improvement of ecological conditions, we usually do not support projects that primarily deal with research or awareness-raising.
For further information on our funding objectives, eligible parties, the application process and other formalities please download our Funding Guidelines.
BaltCF funding priorities
We support nature conservation and environmental protection projects in countries bordering with the Baltic Sea which fulfill at least one of the following objectives:
- Improve the ecological stability and/or the regenerative capacity of the marine environment;
- Contribute to the reduction and/or degradation of pollutants or depositions leading to eutrophication;
- Help to secure and/or improve habitats for rare and/or protected species and support biodiversity;
- Help to secure, expand, or develop marine protected areas;
- Help to secure, expand, or develop terrestrial protected areas in the Baltic Sea’s immediate catchment area;
- Help to compensate negative effects on the Baltic Sea’s natural environment;
- Support the maintenance and development of habitats in the Baltic Sea and/or its immediate catchment areas.